Date(s) - Saturday, October 21, 2017
The Northampton Historical Commission is pleased to announce the dedication of a new memorial bench overlooking “Cemetery Hill,” used as a burial ground by Northampton State Hospital from 1858 until the 1920s. A bench and plantings have marked the site since 1959. Earlier this year, the Historical Commission oversaw the installation of a new stone bench (previous wooden benches had deteriorated over the years) by Mike McKenna of Southampton, MA (who donated the granite) and students and staff from Smith Vocational and Agricultural High School, supervised by Tim Smith. The dedication will take place on Saturday, October 21, at 11:00 a.m. at the Burial Ground Memorial Bench site. The event is free and open to the public.
Burial Ground Memorial Bench site
The walking path to the site starts at the parking lot off Burts Pit Road near the Community Gardens.